Sunday, January 30, 2011

Widmer W'11 KGB Russian Imperial Stout



I can't think of any RIS that I don't like, but unfortunately this is one. I was initially excited to use one of the hundreds of pint glasses (sad I know) in my collection that survived the "Widmer Wednesdays" at the Uptown Bar in the late 90's (I think it was $3.50 first pint of Widmer - mine was normally a hefeweizen - and then $2.95 refills and keep the glass). I thought for a 9.3% ABV beer it was a rather thin, medicinal and light bodied beer that lacked the complexity and "chewiness" and bite of other RIS. I'm thinking this beer might be better cellared but on my tasting it's less than mediocre, even for the bargain price of $7.99 a six pack I'd pass in the future. This is a seasonal offering from Widmer Brothers Brewing, Portland, OR.

C-

No comments:

Post a Comment