Sunday, January 30, 2011

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout



This is the much ballyhoo-ed release of the "new" Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US market, although it has been readily available overseas (apparently making up 45% of all Guinness brand sales worldwide). Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an Imperial Guinness pint glass what really struck me, apart from the characteristic midnight black colour, was the vigorous mocha head. It has the unmistakable Guinness taste of smoked, burnt, roasted malt with perhaps a woodsy, peaty dryness - I think this tastes very much like the bottled version of regular Guinness Extra Stout with a bit more alcohol warmth (7.5% ABV) and a more lively finish. Much better than the bland, tasteless, too smooth nitrogenerated Guinness that you get on draught, nonetheless I was left a little disappointed. Having grown up in Ireland I know I'm biased but Guinness just doesn't taste the same without the "craic" of a warm Irish country pub. For value and taste I'd go for "Lion Stout", around $10 for a six-pack 12oz bottles as opposed to a 4 pack of 11.2 Guinness FES at around $9, but that's just me.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment