Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bell's Oarsman Ale



This offering from Bell's (Comstock, MI) is described as "buoyant, tart and refreshing from using traditional sour mash methods". It pours a pale yellow with a lifeless body and almost non-existent carbonization. Weighing in at a measly 4% ABV I wonder what he brewer was trying to achieve? I have read some speculation that it was intended to be a Berliner Weiss style of beer, if that is the case it definetly needs an addition of something sweet (as traditionally used in Berlin) to balance up the overpowering tartness. For a sour beer I would stick to something more substantial and enjoyable such as New Belgium's "La Folie" or Rodenbach Grand Cru or Duchese De Bourgogne. To each their own but I found this to be an almost undrinkable disappointment (I used my last 2 bottles to boil brats)!

D

No comments:

Post a Comment