Sunday, January 30, 2011

Victory Golden Monkey



Discovered this bottle lurking in the depths of my beer fridge. It's a bottle conditioned Belgian inspired tripel from Victory Brewing (Downington, PA). I've enjoyed other great beers from this brewery (notably "Storm King" Imperial stout - one of my all-time favourites - and "Hop Wallop") but this was my first experience with "Golden Monkey". Poured a delightful pale golden yellow with a frothy white head with a light delicate body and lots of carbonization, which should be a characteristic of this style, in my opinion. Delicious and refreshing citrusy taste with candy notes and other spices, I thought this was a very satisfying beer that disguised the 9.5% ABV alcohol well. This would be a nice summer beer, although I think I would have no more than a couple before mowing the lawn! Not in the same class perhaps as Unibroue's "La Fin Du Monde" but so what? Kudos to Victory for putting a best-before date on the bottle (mine was June 2013), I wish more breweries would do that. I'll close with a description from the brewery :

"Strong and sensual, this golden Belgian style ale glows. The richness of German malts and Belgian yeast are tempered by a sparkling approach and overall light body. Abundant herbal, fruity notes make this one to savour".

B/B+

No comments:

Post a Comment